Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Izzy at Ten Days

Little Izzy weighed 7 pounds 1 ounce at the doctors today! She has gained more than a pound since leaving the hospital 8 days ago... That is some good milk paired with a lot lot lot of time accessing the milk!

So Izzy's grandparents left this morning. It was wonderful having their support this first week that Izzy was home. The amount of help they gave us is really immeasurable. I am sure Izzy will miss them!




The last couple of days have been pretty tough. Izzy has decided that sleeping overnight is really not fun. To be more precise she feeds and then gets put to bed and then starts crying. Two nights ago I was up for two hours desperately trying to stop her crying and to let her Mom sleep. I rocked, shushed, tried different positions, walking around, swinging. It was very painful emotionally and physically. Last night the same thing started to happen but we decided to just try feeding her again immediately and that seemed to work. She slept for three hours straight afterwards... It is amazing when you get in the situation when three straight hours of sleep seems like an immense luxury!

We are trying to go for walks with her in the afternoons so she can get some understanding of day time and day light. We use her Ergo baby carrier, which is just a wonderful thing. So comfortable and she is so relaxed in it she inevitably sleeps.

Rachel spoke again to our great doula Laura on Sunday. I realize we have not discussed her here yet. She was with us through the whole birthing process providing support, knowledge and advice. I really cannot imagine having survived the birth without her. She gave Rachel some great extra advice on breast feeding.

At the doctors today we had a long discussion with Dr Feldman on vaccinations. I have done quite a bit of reading on infant vaccinations. They really pack them in during the first 18 months with as many as 7 on a single day! We worry about toxic overloads, over stimulation of immune systems and compounding side effects. That is not to say that it isn't really important to vaccinate, as these diseases are horrible. I found a new schedule advocated by the famous pediatrician Dr Sears that accounts for our worries but allows for complete vaccination within the first 4-5 years:

http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/

The doctor today was understanding but clearly was keen not to be doing anything different from the standard.

Izzy is growing fast, it is amazing really how much in ten days. She is still the cutest thing you can imagine though:








2 comments:

hippiepotomus said...

Our son cried a lot during his first month too. (you don't know me by the way, but I met Helen at a conference and I also worked on BCI before you did...) My husband found that letting him suck on his upside down thumb would calm him down...

Good luck. Love the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Tim that is just the most amazing photo, daddy and daughter - you need to print and frame that one

xxxx